Making Myself a Monster: Halloween 2018.November 13, 2018
I honestly have no idea when last I purchased a Halloween costume for myself. I have been using my imagination and ingenuity to build my own for years now, this year was no different. This time I decided to do something that I have wanted to try for ages, that is build a full body costume. I personally believe that it turned out pretty cool; and though I don’t like attention, I received plenty of it while trick-or-treating with my family. I am going to sum up for everyone some of the techniques and processes that I used to create this nasty guy. I would like you all to take into account that I was working with a bit of a budget, so some things may seem unnecessarily complicated. With unlimited resources, the time and efforts used would have been reduced drastically. As it is, it took me about a month to complete this little project(adulting sure didn’t help with the amount of time either).
As with most of my art, it all started with a few simple sketches. I pretty much only sketched the head, arms, and feet; the rest of the body parts were left in my imagination. After I was reasonably satisfied with the basic design, it was time to figure out how I was going to accomplish goals and what all material I was going to need. First off, I figured it would be easiest to just purchase one of those skin-tight body suits and use it as a base. After I bought the suit, I decided that I wanted to build the head
The body was next. I wanted it to be like a second skin on me, so I set out to make a mannequin of myself. That part was easy enough because all I did was wrap myself in plastic wrap, packing tape, and secured some areas with duct tape. Afterward, I cut myself out, sealed my newly shed skin, filled it with foam. And just like that, POOF!, I had a new friend! Now, I simply dressed my new friend in the skin suit and slathered him down with about three layers of the latex, letting each coat dry before adding another one(I had some help from a heat gun). After the latex treatment, I attached the head and began the next big step, the task of mapping my own body’s musculature and giving my monster definition and texture. I just used a Sharpie to draw the muscle lines on; but for the texture, I painstakingly went over every inch of the body with lines of hot glue. I then made the long and sharp fingernails and toenails and attached them with epoxy adhesive(more on those nails later). With the nails attached and the hot glue in place, I added about four more layers of latex( once again letting it dry between coats). After
The accessories such as the chains, collar, and hooks were all real and modified or fabricated by me as well. I’m not going to go into their creation unless someone wants me to, it was quick and easy with the right tools and a bit of imagination. Now,
Note: I left the zipper on the back of the suit latex and glue free. As such, I went about hiding it with a velcro-on spine that I made in much the same way as the rest of the suit. Also, take note that this writing isn’t a